Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Asheville

So I completely forgot about posting Josh and I's trip to Asheville in September! We decided to go because of the good hiking/scenery and of course the good food. My mom came up to watch the kiddos and we set off on our 4 night adventure!

To start with I felt pretty awful-sore throat, achy. We stopped in Indy to get a rental car and while there I had Josh drop me at a clinic to make sure I wasn't dealing with an actual illness. I wasn't, so I buckled down on drinking lots of fluids and taking ibuprofen constantly. Seemed to do the trick throughout the week!

I didn't get a good picture of our VRBO we stayed at, but it was super cute and very close to Asheville proper. Also it was a great bargain, which I'm always looking for on vacation! We pretty much just ate and tried to get hikes in when it wasn't raining. We picked a heck of a week to be in the mountains-it rained pretty much every day and was extremely foggy most mornings. I was very glad we didn't have the kids with us because we had to be super flexible with the weather!








We went on a tour of water falls-this is Sliding Rock.













One morning promised a 2 hour window of sunshine-we took our chances and a rough drive up the mountain to check out Craggy Gardens area.


















Whew that sun was blinding after days of clouds!



















The fog rolled in on our way back down!











Ever the risk taker, Josh thought we should try our luck at Mount Mitchell. Judging by the parking lot when we got up to the top I was not super hopeful.






Great view huh?

















One other couple was up with us and we waited oh so patiently...






It was all worth it. We only ended up waiting about 10 minutes and we got maybe 15 of sunshine.






















Somehow I took 0 pictures of all the awesome food we ate, but here are some of the restaurants we went to so that I can remember them later! Bhramari Brewing Company (probably our favorite place), Rhubarb (delicious pimento cheese hush puppies), Early Girl Eater for breakfast, Tupelo Honey for a quick snack before real dinner one night (we try to fit in lots of places), Butcher Bar (best Rueben Josh has ever eaten which is saying a lot!). We also had a lot of fun touring some breweries and hanging out at a huge arcade (Asheville Retrocade) one afternoon when it was rainy.

One huge bonus to our trip was getting to see one of Josh's favorite bands Chromeo while we were there. They added Asheville to their tour after we planned our trip so when I saw they were going to be there when we were I bought tickets!








Josh was geeked.






I am a fan but not an ultrafan of Chromeo but even I had to admit it was one of the best concerts I had been to!




They were so fascinating to watch on stage!















Well that about wraps up our trip! I would highly recommend going to the area if you have any interest in food, outdoors or craft brews! It was especially great to reconnect with each other and we were super excited to get back and hear all about the boys' week at school while we were away.

No comments: